Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Linux Mint 12 LXDE Revisited: Create Linux Mint 14 Nadia LXDE from Lisa LXDE

I really love the Linux Mint 12 LXDE edition. But, because of some reasons, LXDE ran out of favor and the Mint developers preferred KDE, Cinnamon, Mate and XFCE for the future releases. So, versions 13 (Maya) and 14 (Nadia) never saw an LXDE release. That is where I decided to do an experiment - install the Linux Mint 12 LXDE version and upgrade it to Mint 14. I could have also installed an LXDE desktop to a Nadia installation. But, I choose the difficult path just to experiment if, by replacing the old ppa's with the updated ones in Package Source list, one can actually upgrade a system with no harms done.

From Linux Mint 14 LXDE
For my forward approach, i.e. upgrade from Lisa to Nadia, I booted up a 32-bit Linux Mint 12 LXDE installation. It has primarily the Oneiric and Mint's own Lisa packages. What I did is to add the Quantal and Nadia repositories to /etc/apt/sources.list and replace the old Lisa list.

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ nadia main upstream import backport romeo
deb-src http://packages.linuxmint.com/ nadia main upstream import backport romeo
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ quantal partner
deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ quantal free non-free

# deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu quantal-getdeb apps
# deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu quantal-getdeb games

Basically what I did here is too add the archives and packages from Ubuntu 12.10 and Mint 14 Nadia. To do it just go to the terminal and type

sudo leafpad /etc/apt/sources.list

then type password and then do a repo update by

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

It took some time to do so. All the upgraded Nadia system files were now be added and obsolete Lisa files were be moved out. It will run for sometime. I allowed it to run. However, post completion, I noted that some dependencies were not met and quite a few lib files not installed. Hence, again I ran a forced upgrade

sudo apt-get -f upgrade

This time it worked and all essential files were upgraded to Nadia. Then I upgraded the distro using

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Again, it took about an hour in my system to replace the old Lisa kernel (3.0.0) with the new Nadia (Linux kernel 3.5.0-21) along with a host of other library files. Major upgrades which happened in course were:
  • VLC 1.1.12 got replaced with VLC 2.0.4, 
  • GIMP 2.6 got replaced with GIMP 2.8, 
  • Firefox 7 was replaced with Firefox 17
  • Dropbox 0.6.9 replaced by Dropbox 1.4.0
  • PCManFM 0.9.8 replaced by PCManFM 1.0.1
  • Mint Installer 7.3.5 upgraded to Mint Installer 7.4.4

From Linux Mint 14 LXDE
From Linux Mint 14 LXDE
From Linux Mint 14 LXDE
To check if things are working, I installed LibreOffice. By default LibreOffice 3.6 from Quantal/Nadia library got installed. I restarted with the apprehension that something would break and my entire 5 hours of effort would be ruined. But, to my luck, it started with LXDE plus OpenBox and with the updated Linux kernel 3.5.

Two broken packages were reported when I used the Software update GUI. I allowed it to install and repair broken packages with the detailed display open. It asked for permissions in certain cases to replace the broken packages with the latest ones from Nadia and Quantal repositories. It ran for about 30 minutes but couldn't resolve the couple of packages. However, I checked all my programs ran perfect. Software manager icon on the main menu was broken but System Tools -> Software Manage and Synaptic Package Manager were working great. Because it was unable to upgrade everything, the software update icon in the right hand side of the panel wouldn't show a tick (as it normally shows) but all applications worked right out of the box. Even I could install LibreOffice 3.6 and Skype 4 without any fuss.

From Linux Mint 14 LXDE
From Linux Mint 14 LXDE

One issue I faced is that even after restart, Linux kernel 3.0.0 was being used as default. So, I updated grub by

sudo update-grub

and it worked! Next reboot took me straight to Linux kernel 3.5.

In nutshell, all the existing packages got upgraded to the Nadia packages. LXDE is still there as the only desktop environment (along with the minimal Openbox, of course) and I got a brand new updated Linux Mint 14 Nadia LXDE from Linux Mint 12 Lisa LXDE within a matter of few hours! I checked for resource usage as well. Both Linux Mint 12 and 14 had the same 120 MB RAM and 0-1% CPU usage with only task manager running. Net result for me was a successful upgrade from Linux Mint Lisa LXDE to Linux Mint Nadia LXDE.

17 comments:

  1. That is good to hear I might try this out. I love LXDE and this seems like a great option. I have tried to create the same thing with Xfce but is just no the same as just plain LXDE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. is that remeo or romeo in the software sources list?

      Delete
    2. Thanks for pointing it out. Corrected to romeo now :).

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this, I'll also try this out as soon as have some spare time, since I don't want to switch to xfce to keep a low resources linux mint, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish Mint hadn't discontinued the LXDE version :(. LM 12 LXDE was really good for me - adding LM 14 ppa's worked for me, it is running well without any instability. Please let me know if it worked for you. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Hello,
      I finally had the time to try your trick to get mint 14 lxde from mint 12. I am sorry to report that so far, I unfortunately failed, which is very sad. I can go as far so to complete this step "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade". And then I restart and then the the ubuntu splash screen is displaying. When I enter the UI, I cannot use the mousepad nor the wireless internet card. I am using an Acer Aspire one netbook (a150, one of the first models). I am right now reinstalling Mint 12. Have any clues?
      Thanks, and don't worry about my failure, I knew the risks before my attempts!

      Delete
    3. Please try to run sudo apt-get f-upgrade and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade for restart. That may help.

      Thanks,
      Arindam

      Delete
    4. Easier way would be to install LXDE on LM13.

      Delete
  3. Great idea! I woudn't have think of it for fear too many things would result broken.
    I will be trying this soon enough, but upgrading only to Mint 13 with hopes of a longer support for most packages...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly a better idea will be to install LXDE on LM 13. I did this just to experiment and it worked for me. But, there is a risk involved too :).

      Delete
  4. after having many problems of broken packages
    now it works very well, but I dont know if your method is the best,
    but it's a method for geeks at yours risks ;-)
    thanks a lot and good day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, even I am not sure. I thought it won't work but luckily it worked :).
      Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I've been using this guys Maya LXDE spin for the past several weeks with very few problems on a desktop. His ppa hasn't broke anything either on a netbook running Lubuntu either. Love your very through helpful reviews by the way.. http://sourceforge.net/projects/ulmlxde/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the link, I'm downloading his Maya LXDE spin!
      And thanks for liking my reviews.

      Delete
  6. If i do it now, there will be linux mint 15 lxde?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karloz, it depends on the repos you are choosing in this step:
      deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ nadia main upstream import backport romeo
      deb-src http://packages.linuxmint.com/ nadia main upstream import backport romeo
      deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal main restricted universe multiverse
      deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
      deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-security main restricted universe multiverse
      deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ quantal partner
      deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ quantal free non-free

      Just replace Nadia & Quantal with Olivia and Raring in the /etc/apt/sources.list.

      Regards,
      Arindam

      Delete