Monday, December 31, 2012

Linuxed - My Linux Explore wishes everyone a very happy and prosperous New Year

2012 has been a great year for Linux. We saw quite a few innovations this year and quite a few ridiculous ones as well. In overall, I feel 2012 has been a landmark for the Linux world - we saw KDE gaining strength to strength with KDE 4.9, Gnome losing grounds to Cinnamon and Mate, XFCE and LXDE staying more or less the same without trying anything ridiculous, Gnome 3 developers finally having some sense to add a shutdown option, Ubuntu pitching for higher social network integration with Unity, Elementary OS rocking the Linux world without even its first final release out, and a whole lot of others. In overall, Linux distributions became more reliable, installed correctly without much effort, detected hardware much more precisely and are more beautiful than Linux ever had been. So, expecting a lot of the innovations to continue in 2013 as well, I wish to all Linux fans a very happy and prosperous new year. May everyone find their best Linux match this year :).


8 comments:

  1. I hope Linux world to arrive one day - SOON! - to this:

    Diversity in unity and unity in diversity.

    Happy New Year!


    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I really like your blog, it helped me to stop distro hopping a bit. Actually I have: Ubuntu 12.10 with Unity (screenshot), Xubuntu 12.10 (screenshot) and Linux Mint 14 with Cinnamon (screenshot). All of them work decently on my computer, I have an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,00GHz, 3GiB of RAM and a Nvidia 9300M GS, with the 310 driver.
    Which of those three would you recommend me? I want to use ONLY one distro, but I need advice of somebody like you!
    Please, help me to choose.
    Catbuntu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tomeu:

      All three of the distro you are using are really good and basically same with desktop environment the only thing different. Xubuntu of course is the least taxing of the three on resources. However, you have a decently powerful machine and hence, I don't have a recommendation here. Please use the one which appeals to you most and you are most comfortable using. That's it!

      Thanks,
      Arindam

      Delete
    2. By the by, your desktop wallpapers rock! Seems like you are a cat lover :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks!
      I finally choosed Linux Mint with Cinnamon, and I'm happy with it. Here you can see a complete explanation of why did I choose it, if you're interested :)

      Catbuntu

      Delete
  3. Linux is an open source operating system although it is an open source but it is impossible to hack it. The best server like Apache is build in Linux based system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linux is definitely more secured than Windows and delivers much better performance using comparatively lower resources. I completely agree with what you wrote.

      Delete
  4. Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is important and everything.
    Nevertheless just imagine if you added some great images or videos to give your posts more, "pop"!
    Your content is excellent but with images and video clips, this website could undeniably be one of the very best in its
    field. Terrific blog!

    Also visit my website; how to lose weight quickly

    ReplyDelete